The Faculty of Health Sciences has an outstanding international reputation and many of our graduates are leaders in their fields, both in South Africa and worldwide.
The study of health sciences emphasises the importance of physical and mental wellbeing, and provides access to various careers either as a professional practitioner, in education as a lecturer, or in medical research.
- There are two points of entry into MBBCh:
- First year, for applicants who are currently in Grade 12 and
- Third year, for applicants who have completed a degree (this is the Graduate Entry Medical Programme (GEMP)
- No application to second year will be considered. Those applicants who are currently studying or who have studied at a tertiary institution are advised to complete their studies and apply for admission to the GEMP.
- There are also two entry points into the BSc (Physiotherapy) degree:
- First year, for Matriculants and University-experienced applicants who are ineligible for the second entry point.
- Second-year, for applicants who have completed a degree and meet specific entry requirements. This is the Graduate Entry Physiotherapy Programme (GEPP)
We offer excellent postgraduate supervisors who participate in cutting edge research and are thus able to guide and support students during their engagement with research.
Wits is recognised both locally and internationally for the quality of its research and for the exemplary training of its postgraduate students.
Our academic staff are involved in ground breaking research in clinical, applied and basic sciences, thus providing fertile and varied fields in which you may choose to work. The research environment in the Faculty is stimulating and thought-provoking.
We currently offer fully online academic programmes where you will be fully supported by our expert lecturers.