First Fee payment
New and returning South African residents, SA permanent residence permit holders and refugee permit holders, are required to make the first payment of R9340 on their fees account prior to registration at the University.
Is the payment refundable?
The first fee payment is not refundable if you subsequently cancel your registration
Is everyone required to make the first payment?
The following students do not have to pay the first fee payment:
1. NSFAS Students: Please ensure you have received confirmation from NSFAS that you have been awarded NSFAS funding, or check at www.nsfas.org.za to confirm.
2. WITS Scholarship Recipients: If you have been awarded a scholarship, you do not have to pay the first fee payment. The University Entrance Scholarships are awarded on the basis of NSC matric results to current matric applicants.
3. External Bursary Holders: If you are being funded by a donor or external bursary please ensure that you have contacted the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office to make sure that your donor has made arrangements to pay your fees.
Students also have the option to postpone the first fee payment by logging into the Self-Service portal and clicking on the "First Fee Payment" tab. After completion of the necessary information, the first fee payment will be waived and the student may proceed with online registration.
Please note, 100% of the total tuition fee must be paid on or before the last working day in March.
Re-registration with historical debt
1. Students with debt less than R10 000
A student who owes more than R10 000 will only be allowed to register for the 2023 academic year under the following conditions:
- A student who has a total household income below the Household Income Cap of R600 000, must pay 50% of the outstanding debt;
- The student must sign an online Acknowledgement of Debt (AOD) arrangement with the University for the duration of the current academic year towards the total outstanding debt;
- Proof of household income, consent of income verification and motivation for assistance is required
- A student who owes more than the Re-registration limit and does not fall in the household income category of below the Household Income Cap, will be required to settle the outstanding debt in order to register for the new/current academic year
A student who owes more than R10 000 and does not fall in the category above, will be required to settle the outstanding debt in order to register for the 2023 academic year.
Amounts to be paid
- Tuition fees are payable for each course for which a student is registered.
- Charges ancillary to tuition fees, such as charges for course notes or excursion costs, may be included in the account for fees. In the latter case the ancillary charge, while given as a separate entry under the tuition fee, should be included in the calculation of the total amount payable.
Accessing your fee account and full payment of fees
- Once you have registered, a fees account is generated on self-service
- The University may alter the payment schedules in keeping with normal accounting practices. Applicants should know, however, that at present fees are due as follows
- 100% of the total tuition fee must be paid on or before the last working day in March.
- Provision is made for the monthly payment of fees - interest is charged on the balance owing.
- International students who are offered a place must pay 75% of their fees in full before registration, and the remaining 25% by no later than the 31st of March.
- Occasional students and online course students: Must pay the full fee upfront at registration.